Change Fails When It Is too Late… DON’T WAIT!

One of the most inspiring movies about education, the power of voice, and change is that of “Dead Poets Society.”  While it can be seen as very controversial, aren’t most messages worth being heard a little controversial. The teacher, Mr. Keating, said, ” Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Don’t be resigned to that. Break out! Break out! Now is the time!”  Let’s let that sink in; NOW IS THE TIME.

Chapter 1 of Innovator’s Mindset, What Innovation Is and Isn’t, begins with a quote from Seth Godin-“Change almost never fails because it’s too early. It almost always fails because it’s too late.”  Too often, we sit on the sidelines and go with the flow hoping that someday things will change.  We see the potential, but we hear the voices whisper “this is the way it is done, this is how it has always been, this works for us.”  All the while, in your heart, you are living in quiet desperation knowing that things could be so much different.  If you wait too long, the opportunity will pass you by.  You will look back and think, “I could have, should have, would have made a difference.”

I have always been a dreamer and never happy with the status quo.  I have always felt like we were created for so much more than what many of us settle on.  The craving for the unknown and the possibilities have taken me on many adventures, challenged me to keep going, and caused me to passionately search for ways to learn and grow. Have I made mistakes? Yes, but I have learned from them. Isn’t that the whole point of living?”

Mr. Keating from “Dead Poets Society” said, “There’s a time for daring and there’s a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for. No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.”  So, “Carpe Diem”.  Be daring, but always reflect back to the question “Is this in the best interest of students?” Find your voice, locate the innovation, and create a place in this world that empowers students and teachers.

Remember as George pointed out, “Change almost never fails because it’s too early. It almost always fails because it’s too late.” Don’t Wait!

Watch “What Will Your Verse Be?” from

“Dead Poets Society”, https://youtu.be/R_zsMwCOoEs