Remember Them…

I ran across this picture a while back on the internet, and it stopped me in my tracks.  “Remember her? She is still there…inside you… waiting. Let’s go get her!

Take a minute and look at that picture and think about a time when you had this look on your face.  What was going through your mind when you had that face? I guarantee you were not thinking about all the problems in the world, the wrongs of the past, or worrying about the future.  You were most likely living unapologetically in the moment.

The best moments in my life have been when I channeled that girl. Whether it was randomly giving a co-worker a high-five in the hallway to dressing as a beekeeper and teaching my students how to do the “Honeybee Dance” (you had to be there).

The worst moments had always occurred when I became too concerned with the seriousness around me.  Being oblivious is not what I am suggesting at all, but there is something to be said for the old saying “Ignorance is bliss.” We need to love one another, support them, and show concern but you cannot give from an empty tank.

There is a one-word challenge on Twitter.  At the beginning of the year, Tweeps choose one word they want to emulate or incorporate into their life.   My word for this year is rejuvenate.

I want to try and remember being a kid and the sheer joy I felt from feeling the sun on my face, swinging on the playground, and laughing a little too loud.  I want to feel that sense of curiosity, bravery, and pushing the envelope (like swimming across a small lake when everyone said I was crazy).

That girl did some crazy, huge things, and she spent very little time questioning if she could. That girl suffered through nightmares, yet continued to laugh in the face of danger. She saw a mountain as a challenge, not something she could not climb. So many told her there was no way, but she knew she had to find a way. I WANT TO ALWAYS REMEMBER HER!

I challenge you to choose a word this year, one that touches your heart, and I ask you to take some time this year to remember the feeling of being in the moment. Once you remember him or her, GO GET THEM!