Look Out for One Another

This morning I was reading and I came across Philippians 2:4 which says, “Look out for one another’s interest, not just your own.”

We are not meant to walk this world alone and we are not meant to take on the whole world.  I do not know about you, but the weight of the world has been crushing and suffocating lately. September is Suicide Prevention Awareness month and this scripture this morning hit home.

In the process of self-care and protection, we have isolated ourselves and may be forgetting to practice empathy. A culture of “me” has developed and it is swallowing our world whole. We are spinning our wheels, feeling alone, and there are all of these agendas it seems everywhere we turn. Let’s face it, sometimes it feels like we are barely surviving.   Each of us have a lot of pressures and expectations weighing on us and honestly we are all fighting battles (while some are fairing better than others) in this great endeavor.

How many of us have been in a situation where it feels completely lost and all of a sudden someone comes alongside and says some kind words, gives a smile, provides grace when is is not deserved? I do not know about you, but when that has happened, it is like the gray that surrounds you lifts and you can see the smallest glimmer of sunlight on the horizon. A moment of love can change a life.  You do not have to take on the fight they are in, you just need to be a breath of fresh air so they can continue to fight.

Community is God’s answer to defeat, but there has to be a community to stand hand-in-hand. We need to be a community who will stand with others in tough times and say, “We’re not going to let you get discouraged. We’re not going to let you get depressed. We’re not going to let you worry. We’re going to stay here with you.”

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple braided cord is not easily broken” (Ecclesiastes 4:12 NLT).

Let us stand together.  Let us check on one another.  Let us learn to put aside our differences and show love and kindness.  If you feel like someone is out of reach or you do not jive, how can you still be kind and support them?